contact home links about where i've been n stuff

Friday, September 30, 2005

Juice Fast Log Blog

**Beginning today, Wednesday, September 21, 2005, I am embarking on a 10-day juice fast. I will consume nothing but juice and water. I will also chew gum.**

Day 1: Well, it's about 10:am, and I'm starting to get a little hungry. This is the time when I usually eat breakfast. Or lunch, depending on how I feel. But I rarely eat any earlier than this. Last night for dinner, we had leftover haystacks. Then, as part of our laurel class activity we went to Chuck-o-Rama in Orem for dessert. We went there because Lacey was working and we wanted her to feel like she could still be a part of our activity even though she was at work. The last thing I ate was a half of a piece of lemon poppyseed cake. Time to go eat some juice.

Now it's 1:30. I had to go to Maceys, and it was weird. Everything I was buying was stuff that I knew I wasn't going to eat. Then I went to Good Earth to get more juice. I've been chewing gum for a few hours, but my jaw is sick of it, and wants a peanut butter sandwich in there. I can also feel a little bit of tiredness. But maybe that's just because it's the afternoon. Also, I've decided that this is better than the usual monthly fast, because I can have drink. And drink I shall.

10:20 pm, and all is well. I had a Skin Care Class in Spanish Fork, and the hostess had home-made cookie-bar thingeys. But, being the professional that I am, I politely declined, thinking about the jug o' juice I had waiting in Kari. I actually brought an extra shirt with me just incase I spilled any on me while I was drinking on the way there. Such a thinker I am. Anyway, I think that night-time will be my biggest challange. Everyone else is asleep. I am left roaming. AND, get THIS: I walked in to my kitchen tonight to a smell of something carby...Darin had made puffpuffs. How DARE he?! Perhaps he had forgotten about my litttle project...or perhaps NOT. mmm...puffpuffs... I had better go to bed now, if for no other reason than to hide from food.

Day 2: Even with going to bed earlier last night, I woke up today with NO ENERGY. But I wasn't hungry. Trying to help lil ~j. get ready for school was interesting - I could barely climb the stairs. We'll see how I do, energy-wise, for the rest of the day. Also, Darin apologized this morning for making puffpuffs last night. Then he laughed.

Day 3: 10:15, and already this is my hardest day. I've been planning the meal I will have next week to break this fast...or, I guess I should start out small, by just eating fruits & vegetables, right? I dream of Guru's & Cafe Rio. I'd even take Arctic Circle at this point. My breath yesterday was rancid, and I was nervous about the stinky skin factor, so I poured on the perfume, which made cjane's husband gag last night at the ER party. (Sorry, officer.) I'm doing away with the vegetable juice. Just fruit juice & water for me. Yesterday I did have a headache, so I took some ibuprofen, but it didn't upset my stomach at all.

Day 4: Yeah, yesterday was crazy. The Star Party Dinner at the Dock of the Bay restaurant didn't help - I could SMELL the SALAD. But I made it through with my jug o' juice. Today was the MK salad luncheon, and there were some tempting rolls, and the spinach strawberry salad that I made smelled unbelievably great, if I do say so myself. People at the "block party" kept offering me food, but I politely declined, probably looking like a snob. Just now I finished a bowl of vegetarian vegetable broth. It made me feel like I was eating soup. I have been afraid of accidentally eating - mainly when I'm cleaning up after the girls. I didn't realize how often I just graze - subconscious eating? I will like this weekend better when Darin gets home from his camp-o-ree and can prepare food for the girls. I've just been making Kraft Dinner for them, because Yellow Death, as I call it, is something I just won't eat...but when I made it on Thursday, I stuck my head in the pot and inhaled like I was Slick Willie. It smelled AWESOME. I find that I crave salty more than sweet. Also, my entire body stinketh today.

Day 5: 2:45 pm - Okay, by far the hardest parts of this are day 3 and WEEKENDS. Yesterday and today made me sincerely miss eating. When Darin got back from his camp-o-ree, and I got home from the RS broadcast, I asked him to describe to me, in detail, the food that they had. I did eat a small piece of bread at church today...does that count?

5:15 pm - I hate this. I want to quit and eat something.

Day 7: 1:pm - I didn't write yesterday because it was such a busy day, and I was doing things like making & decorating Curly's birthday cake. I didn't even lick the spoon. Although there was a time yesterday, after I found out that cjane was done with her fast, that I seriously contemplated quitting. But I didn't quit. I said I'd do this, and I'm doing it. According to the scale this morning, I've lost 12 lbs., but that doesn't excite me too much since I'm pretty confident I'll put it all back on next weekend. Also, if I ever do this again, it will be when my children are grown and gone, or at least when they can fend for themselves. Trying to not eat while cooking for other people is for the birds.

Day 8: It's no coincidence that I've gotten approximately NO housework done since I've begun this fast - that's less housework than usual, really, it is. I HAVE to stay out of the kitchen. Can't do dishes, or clear off the counter - can't even be in that area of the house. I can't believe I've been doing this for a week.

Day 9: 3:45 pm - I am so sick of people assuming that I am doing this for weight loss. It is not a diet, it is a fast.

6:30 pm - And I'm done. I've struggled with the temptation to eat for a few days, but I knew that I wasn't done. The main objective of my fast was to be in tune with what my body needs. Well, for about an hour, the message has been non-stop that I need food. And I'm completely fine with that. I feel that this fast has been a success. Did it last ten days? No. Am I a woman of my word? Yes. I did what I needed to do. I thought it would take me ten days, and it has only taken me nine. As much as I complained about wanting food (which, by the way, most of that complaining has been on this blog, not out loud), this was an excellent experience for me. I am proud that I did this. I just broke the fast with an apple and peanut butter. I now look forward to cleaning my kitchen (since I can be around food), and going to the Pampered Chef party at Carina's tonight. I probably won't eat anything there, though. Really.


Monica said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Monica said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Why do you delete comments? I like seeing what others have to say. I didn't realize you were doing this. I do recall a reference to it in another Blog or comment. I'm glad you achieved your goal.

QueenScarlett said...

So I am so curious... now that you're done... would you do it again? And... this is because I am dumb to this concept... what is the liquid fast for?

~j. said...

ma - I didn't delete them - the author of the comments did.

queen - I did it for a number of reasons: mainly, to see if I could, and to be more in tune with what my body really needs. I feel like I acheived it, and that's why yesterday, on day nine, when my body told me I needed food, I listened. It was a great experience.

QueenScarlett said...

That is so interesting... I'll have to look into it. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

stop deleting comments.

Anonymous said...

I just clicked on "next blog" at the top of your page and it took me to some German Ladies blog. luckily Ich Sprecha Deutch so I could read it. Luckily.

C. Jane Kendrick said...

I know I am a little late in commenting here but I want you to know, again, how proud I am of you! Aren't our bodies amazing?
Love you!